There’s something special about the taste of summer fruits. Whether it’s picking fresh strawberries, crisp apples or juicy peaches, in-season summer fruits provide many yummy options. One of our favorite summer delicacies is the blueberry, a fruit rich in health benefits and just the right amount of natural sweetness. We also think it makes for a beyond delicious granola ingredient!
New England’s Blueberry Season
In our neck of the woods, blueberry season lasts from late June through early August. Since it is a native fruit, there are plenty of “pick-your-own” berry farms to choose from. These farms are family friendly and can be a great experience for kids to learn where blueberries come from. Typically, blueberries are ripe and ready to be picked from mid-July through the end of August. Hopefully you find the best tasting blueberries our region has to offer!
Blueberry Health Benefits
We know that blueberries taste amazing, but are they healthy for you? Why yes…yes they are! Often categorized as a “superfood,” these berries are low in calories and high in nutrients.
Here are some blueberry health benefits:
- Have one of the highest counts of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables! Antioxidants fight free radicals, which may help protect against aging and cancer
- Excellent inflammation-fighting properties in arteries to reduce the risk of heart attacks
- Are good for the bladder by stopping bacteria, particularly E. coli, from multiplying and attaching to the bladder wall
- Protects your “bad” LDL cholesterol from being oxidized, helping reduce the risk of a heart attack
- Promotes better digestion by increasing probiotics
So you can feel good about eating blueberries (in moderation, of course) while also enjoying the taste.
Bluesberry Granola and Recipes
What also makes the blueberry great is its ability to mix well with other foods, like granola! Our Bluesberry granola is made with all-natural dried blueberries, rolled oats, sliced almonds and pure maple syrup. It’s just the right balance of chewy and crunchy goodness, with low sugar and salt.
Looking for a beyond delicious recipe that uses our granola? We have a variety of options, from a yogurt parfait to granola crusted chicken. Happy blueberry season!