March is National Nutrition Month and we are big believers that food should be both wholesome and delicious. After you eat a snack or meal, you should feel happy about what you ate while your body gets the nutrition it needs. There are so many types of foods that create this balance, including granola!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics started an annual National Nutrition Month campaign for people “to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits.” They have great tips for cooking, meal planning and introducing variety into your diet. Under the academy’s “Smart Snacking Tip Sheets”, granola (with a yogurt parfait) and granola bars (featuring whole grain oats) are great options for adults and kids!
Since we’re on the subject of nutrition, we want to highlight fun facts about some of our granola ingredients:
(ALL GRANOLA FLAVORS)
- Contain antioxidants that can help lower blood pressure, improve blood flow and reduce skin inflammation
- Contain soluble (dissolves in water) dietary fibers that can help lower blood cholesterol levels
- Help improve blood sugar control because it takes time to digest, thereby preventing spikes in blood sugar
DARK ROBUST MAPLE SYRUP
(MAPLE GRANOLA FLAVORS)
- Can have as many as 24 different antioxidants
- Is better for digestion than cane sugar or corn syrup
- Is a source of vitamins and minerals like manganese (helps metabolism), iron (helps carry oxygen to parts of the body) and calcium (helps maintain strong bones)
(HONEY GRANOLA FLAVORS)
- Is rich in antioxidants, including organic acids
- May lower bad cholesterol (LDL) while raising good cholesterol (HDL)
- Can help in lowering blood pressure
Our granola nutrition also extends to other ingredients we include in certain flavors (check out our blog post on chocolate. Yum!). You can include granola as part of your snack or meal routine for a healthy eating lifestyle.
Enjoy National Nutrition Month (make it last every month) and don’t forget the Beyond Delicious granola!